Hello, my name is James Miller.
Since Math 150 is in a dry-run stage, I will be keeping another blog detailing our progress at sxu-gfa-summer2019.blogspot.com. Feel free to check it out!
Background:
I came to Saint Xavier as a non-traditional student in many ways. Not just because I decided to come back to school in my 30's, but because I had a really unconventional high school education. When my brothers were born, I left public school after 7th grade to take care of them while my parents worked, and while I was technically homeschooled, I did not study math in high school. My career has not been overly math reliant, and I've gotten by with calculators, computers and smartphones. But I have experienced many occasions that I wish it was something I had a better hold on. As an undergrad at Saint Xavier's School of Art & Design, I was introduced to the Zing laser and 3D printer technologies, which naturally clicked with the design application Adobe Illustrator that I am an expert in, as well as some new design programs that I quickly mastered. That said, many times I had to redo my work because I had improperly measured, misjudged a design or failed to understand the spacial properties of a piece of art. The laser will do exactly what you tell it to, to the millimeter, and if your measurements are off, so is your end result.
I am looking forward to learning more about geometry and gaining better mastery over my designs as a result of Math 150. I am an open book, and invite you to follow my journey here on this blog.
Best,
James Miller, class of 2019.

Comments
Post a Comment