Skip to main content

Dutch Blitz Fractal, Tinkercad

My assignment for week 2 was to investigate the online program Tinkercad, and build a fractal shape. I first used Adobe Illustrator to brainstorm a shape, that I call "Dutch Blitz" inspired by the Amish "hex signs" I grew up seeing in Northwest Ohio. These designs are painted and hung on barns for good luck, and often have geometric, quilt-like designs.

Hex Signs
"Dutch Blitz Fractal"

I began with a cube framework, with a second cube turned 45 degrees, and two spoked half-frames jutting out horizontally from the design. I then shrink that same design and rotate it 90 degrees, placing it inside the other, repeating indefinitely. As the design shrinks two-dimensionally, it also shrinks three-dimensionally, pulling in toward the center of the cube. This is seen in the three dimensional models I created in Tinkercad.

Dutch Blitz Fractal 3D Framework - Front View

Dutch Blitz Fractal 3D Framework - Side View

Dutch Blitz Fractal 3D Framework - Top View

Dutch Blitz Fractal 3D Framework - Interior demonstration

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fractal Carpet, OpenSCAD, math and more...

During our week 2 class, we worked on creating a carpet fractal in OpenSCAD, which I named "Bombers" (based on the resemblance to a stealth bomber) I created this by modifying some set code in OpenSCAD. The original design was a 100mm square with minimal depth, missing 1/16 of its area. My assignment was to subtract additional area and repeat the design multiple times. Original shape, code featured on the left with directions. Dr. Schreck and I worked on computing the area of the shape, trying to determine the area of the fractal at its first, second and third iterations. I then recreated the shape in OpenSCAD by adding two "/" marks before the location in the code, indicating to the program to subtract that area. My resulting n=1 looked like the following. n=1 n=2 n=3 n=4 n=4 detail In class, we continued to work on the math involved in the fractal, and produced the following calculation of the geometric series needed to continu...

Math 150: Geometry for Artists

Hello, my name is James Miller.  I'm a recent graduate of Saint Xavier University's Art & Design program. In this blog, I'll be detailing my journey through Math 150: Geometry for Artists taught by Dr. Kristen Schreck. Since Math 150 is in a dry-run stage, I will be keeping another blog detailing our progress at  sxu-gfa-summer2019.blogspot.com . Feel free to check it out! Background: I came to Saint Xavier as a non-traditional student in many ways. Not just because I decided to come back to school in my 30's, but because I had a really unconventional high school education. When my brothers were born, I left public school after 7th grade to take care of them while my parents worked, and while I was technically homeschooled, I did not study math in high school. My career has not been overly math reliant, and I've gotten by with calculators, computers and smartphones. But I have experienced many occasions that I wish it was something I had a better h...

First Fractal: Dragon Curve

As my first week assignment, Dr. Schreck directed me to pick a fractal to study and write a brief recap of what I learned, and to find a 3D printable design of that fractal. I chose a design called the "dragon curve" or "Heighway dragon," and a vase created using that fractal that can be 3D printed. design credit: Scott Rodgers @scottyprogrammer on myminifactory.com https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Scottyprogrammer The Fractalfoundation.org  describes a fractal as "a never-ending pattern. Fractals are infinitely complex patterns that are self-similar across different scales. They are created by repeating a simple process over and over in an ongoing feedback loop." As such, fractals can be composed of very simple or very complex shapes, and explain more completely the surfaces of objects found in nature that don't fit easily into standard geometric shapes like cones, cylinders, cubes and spheres. Most spheres in nature aren't actuall...